Wind energy

There's a lot of wind about of late. It's got me thinking.



Quite a few years ago, I was talking to my two year old friend Sarah, when the subject turned to wind. I asked her where it came from. She looked at me as if I was a bit of an idiot, but then, to my delight, she patiently explained it to me.

It turns out trees make it by waving from side to side.

Obvious really.

Other than a bit of sailing experience, and a decent understanding of where the stuff comes from thanks to Sarah, I don't know much else about wind. I'm about to rectify that. I'm going to learn how to make a windmill. And then, once it's made, I'm going to do something with all that wind energy I collect. There are a few things that spring to mind that I might do with some wind power.

  • Grinding flour is one, but I tend to get someone else to pre-grind my flour. 
  • Pumping water. I do a lot of that at the moment in aquaponics, so that could be useful. 
  • Or even generating electricity. I really need to learn about the stuff, so windmills might be a good introduction to electricity. 

Whatever I end up doing with my windmill, it should be an interesting learning experience.

The weather has been too rainy and windy to put much of a dent in all the things I need to do on the new aquaponics system, so I'm reading everything I can find that has anything to do with wind energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts