Snail farming - Research not guesswork

It turns out I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to snail farming.

I also have no idea what I'm talking about on a number of other issues, but it never stops me talking about them. The difference between those issues and this one, is that snail farming is one of my 120 things in 20 years, so I actually care.

Instead of noticing a pair of snails mating and waiting for the babies, I did some reading.

I discovered some stuff.

Mostly I discovered that there is a lot more to discover, but I did learn something relevant to my snail breeding attempts.

Snails eating carrot
But I also discovered that snails eat carrots.

Which is odd.

So far they have never reacted to anything I've fed them like they reacted to carrot. They went crazy for it, and for the first time, I actually got to see them eating. Usually they sneak food when I'm not looking.

I also discovered this...

It seems snails breed in spring. My snails have just been practising.

The problem is that according to the papers I read, snails actually need to have a bit of a nap over the coldest bits of winter.

The problem with that, is it doesn't ring true to what I've seen in my garden. The research papers describe tests done thousands of kilometres away to the north of where I live.

Our country is inconveniently large when it comes to learning from research papers. You can drive for hours and still be in the same place, so I'm guessing that for snails, it's even larger. What I need is some research that is closer to home.

I suspect I'll have to do it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts