Making smoked foods - Tin can smoker - Cold smoke

I thought I'd try to get the food to a place where I had a little more control over the temperature. In my first experiment with my tin can smoker, the device was inside the BBQ, and contributed quite a bit of heat. I suspect the BBQ was at around 50c, which is perfect if you want to breed bacteria.

I'd prefer not to.

I figured I might be able to create smoke by just dry frying some wood chips, and I think it shows some promise.


I put the can on the wok burner and ran it on high for a bit before adding some hickory wood chips.

In this photo I used a flash so as to not distort how much smoker there was. It's a dull day, and if I took it without the flash, I would have captured half a second of smoke instead of 250th of a second or whatever flashes really run at. [Which is why you cant see much of the flame]

Probably much much faster.


Anyway...

It worked a treat.

A total successful test, and only took about 5 minutes to start smoking, and be ready to use. It might even be possible to just move it inside the BBQ now that it's going, and the BBQ heat night keep it going.

That might mean it will be useful as a cold smoke maker, and a hot smoke maker.

I guess I should write some stuff on what smoking is all about instead of jumping right in with a smoker. Sometimes I forget I'm supposed to be writing about this stuff, and just get on with the learning.




120 Things in 20 years' Making cold smoke in a tin can smoker on a wok burner may just be the 2nd success in a row. I'm not sure that's ever happened before.

2 comments:

  1. Wondering if I could dry fry wood chips on top of a sterno can, then stick smoking chips in a box with ice and cheese...? My first cheese attempt melted, the second got no flavor, so three time's the charm?!! Greetings and thanks from NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up making a cold smoker with an electric soldering iron that worked really well. It's up on the blog somewhere

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts